Visiting Assistant Professor in Physical Education Teacher Education (req11127) - University of New Mexico
Position: Visiting Assistant Professor in Physical Education Teacher Education (req11127)
Deadline: December 16, 2019
Posted: November 1, 2019
Job Description / Duties
The Physical Education Teacher Education (PETE) program at the University of New Mexico (UNM) invites applications for a faculty position beginning in the fall of the 2020-2021 academic year: Visiting Assistant Professor in Physical Education Teacher Education. This position is open to individuals with expertise in Physical Education from a broad range of areas that have research interests pertaining to education.
UNM is the state’s flagship research university as well as a Hispanic-Serving Institution classified a Carnegie Research University with Highest Research Activity. UNM also has strong connections with 23 tribal nations located within New Mexico. As such, successful candidates must be committed to working with broadly diverse student and community populations.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate with be expected to teach a variety of courses in physical education at the undergraduate and graduate level, develop and maintain an active research agenda, advise undergraduate and masters students, and conduct appropriate service.
Qualifications / Required Skills
* Doctorate in Physical Education with a specialization in Curriculum and Instruction, Sport Pedagogy, or related field. Degree must be completed by July 31, 2020,
* Demonstrated ability or potential to conduct and publish original research in the area of Physical Education or Sport Pedagogy,
* Demonstrated ability or potential in teaching graduate and undergraduate level courses in PETE or C&I.
* Ability to chair or serve on doctoral dissertation committees and comprehensive exam committees for both M.S. and Ph.D,
* demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities,
* evidence of scholarly productivity or publication,
* expertise with quantitative and/or qualitative research methods,
* expertise in use of technology and online instruction related to PETE or C&I,
* previous experience teaching in a K-12 Physical Education environment.
A complete application packet will include: • Letter of application • Current CV-must include name and contact information of at least three references. • Transcripts of all graduate coursework (from highest degree and content area; readable, unofficial copies will be accepted) • A statement that addresses one’s philosophy of teaching and diversity. This statement will assist the search committee to further determine how the candidate meets the minimum and preferred qualifications. • A statement of research/scholarly work • A letter from graduate chair indicating status of dissertation work (Only required for Ph.D. Candidate applicants)
Applicants who are appointed to a UNM faculty position are required to provide an official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM.
For best consideration, please apply by 12/16/2019. This position will remain open until filled.
Any questions about this position should be directed to Dr. Karen Gaudreault at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Glenn Hushman at email@example.com.
The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for more information.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.