Assistant Professor of Sport and Fitness Management (tenure-track) - University of Alabama at Huntsville
Position: Assistant Professor of Sport and Fitness Management (tenure-track)
Deadline: January 31, 2023
Job Description / Duties
TITLE: Assistant Professor of Sport and Fitness Management (tenure-track)
ABOUT THE POSITION: The Department of Kinesiology is seeking a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Sport and Fitness Management. Duties include teaching 9 hours per semester, engaging in scholarly activities, professional service, and serving on departmental, college and university-wide committees. The candidate will teach various and related courses in the undergraduate sport and fitness management concentration. Additional responsibilities include establishing connections with potential internship and occupational sites for undergraduate students, undergraduate curriculum development, and performing other duties as assigned by the Dean of the College of Education and the Kinesiology Department Chair. The ideal candidate will be committed to effective classroom teaching, student mentoring, curriculum development, and professional scholarly activity.
Qualifications / Required Skills
● Earned doctorate in Sport Management (ABD considered if completed by August 2023), or a related field.
● Experience teaching university students in sport management, athletic administration, or a related field
● Demonstrated evidence of scholarship (published, in press, and presentations)
● Demonstrated evidence of ability to pursue a defined research agenda in Sport Management
● Experience developing sport management undergraduate course curriculum and programs
● Experience teaching university students in online, hybrid, and/or face-to-face models
● Potential to collaborate with other units and colleagues within the university and community
● Experience in writing program requirements for accreditation
● Demonstrated potential in grant writing and implementation
● Active participation in pertinent professional organizations
● Experience to develop, implement and build sustainable collaborative relationships with business entities and government agencies
● Potential to teach and develop graduate level courses
Additional Information: The Department of Kinesiology is one of the newest additions to the UAH campus and has experienced tremendous growth in its first years. Approximately 200 students are Kinesiology majors with continued growth expected. The Sport and Fitness Management program is a new addition to the department. It is designed to prepare students for entry into management, marketing, and administration positions of sport programs in educational and sport business settings, as well as graduate programs. Program outcomes will align with the standards of key professional associations such as COSMA.
Rank and Salary: This is a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor. Salary will be competitive and commensurate to rank, experience, and qualifications. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available.
Appointment Date: Anticipated start date is Fall 2023
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary: Salary will be competitive and commensurate to rank, experience, and qualifications. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest (relating your experiences to the required and preferred qualifications and responsibilities of the position), curriculum vitae, official transcripts, one or two recent scholarly publications or scholarly works in progress and three current letters of recommendation (within the past year) to:
Sport and Fitness Management Faculty Search
Department of Kinesiology
Wilson Hall, Room 329
301 Sparkman Drive
Huntsville, AL 35899
*Please note: digital submissions via e-mail are preferred
Please direct any questions related to the position to: Dr. Noemi Zaharia, OLY, Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Kinesiology to Noemi.Zaharia@uah.edu (Chair of Selection Committee) or Rae Gill, Staff Assistant at Rae.Gill@uah.edu
The University of Alabama in Huntsville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer of minorities/ females/ veterans/ disabled.
Please refer to log number: 23-24-633
The University of Alabama in Huntsville, classified as a High Research Activity institution, offers a wide variety of academic and research programs. Huntsville maintains one of the highest per capita incomes and standards of living in the Southeast United States. There is a rapidly growing sport presence anchored by a strong minor league hockey team and an incoming AA minor league affiliate in the Southern League.