Position: Assistant Professor - Fitness Wellness (Job #605853)
Deadline: January 23, 2022
Job Description / Duties
This is a full-time, tenure eligible faculty position, requiring a balance of teaching (60%), scholarship (20%), and service (20%). Teaching load for this position is typically 9 credits (3 courses) per semester. In addition to quality teaching, the successful candidate will be expected to develop and sustain an independent research line related to their area of expertise, and participate in department, college/university, and community/professional service.
Qualifications / Required Skills
• Earned doctoral degree in Applied Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Exercise & Wellness, or a related field. Candidates nearing completion of a doctorate (ABD) may be considered, but the doctoral degree must be conferred by the start date.
• University or community college teaching experience as the primary instructor of record.
• Prior experience in the development, implementation, and dissemination of research.
• Two or more years full-time teaching in a university setting (both online and classroom setting) as the primary instructor of record.
• Ability to teach in the following Health Sciences areas: Health Risk Appraisal and Fitness Assessment, Strength & Conditioning Program Design, Exercise Program Design and Modification.
• Evidence of the skills and commitment necessary to develop successful research and/or scholarship program.
• Ability to mentor undergraduate and graduate students in research related to applied exercise science, physical activity, or sports performance.
• Interest in research specific to sports performance, training at high altitude.
• Nationally accredited certification in a fitness or wellness area (e.g. American College of Sports Medicine, National Strength and Conditioning Association, National Academy of Sports Medicine).
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity-minded practices in teaching.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button at the end of the job description if viewing this position through the NAU HR website. Otherwise, to view the original post and to apply, proceed to nau.jobs, follow the 'Faculty and Administrator Openings' link, locate vacancy 605853, and then "Apply" at the bottom of the page.
Application must include: (1) a cover letter highlighting your particular qualifications for this position; (2) a curriculum vitae; (3) a 1-page statement demonstrating your commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) initiatives; (4) a statement of research interests; and (5) names and contact information for three references. Save all items as PDF and/or Word documents.
If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the HR website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD
- 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Search Committee Chair:
Dr. Dawn Clifford
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators— thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
The Department of Health Sciences, within the College of Health and Human Services (CHHS) at Northern Arizona University, invites applicants for a full-time (9-month) tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level in Fitness Wellness. The successful candidate would have access to two teaching and research labs (Fitness Assessment and Sport Training – FAST lab and Laboratory for Exercise and Nutrition-LEAN lab) along with the CHHS space in the new NAU Student-Athlete High Performance Center Sims & Treharne Collaborative Research Lab.