Hosted by Adelphi University, Garden City, New York
June 18-19, 2019
The 2019 Leadership Development Workshop will meet on Tuesday, June 18 from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm, and on Wednesday, June 19, ending before the 2019 AIESEP Conference gets underway. (https://aiesep2019.adelphi.edu/)
Contact Brian Culp, the workshop planner at or Jenna Lorusso, workshop co-planner at if you have questions.
Register early by May 1! Space is limited to 50 participants.
Professor Ann MacPhail, University of Limerick
Professor Samuel Hodge, The Ohio State University
Professor James Mandigo, Brock University
- Redefining Leadership Amidst Internationalization
- (Re)Defining internationalization in kinesiology through reflective dialogue on formal and informal leadership experiences (via case studies, artifacts, stories, and SWOT analyses)
- Internationalizing Courses, Programs, and Units
- Leadership for internationalized curriculum, study-abroad programs, and the recruitment and hosting of international students and faculty
- Internationalizing Research, Journals, and Associations
- Leadership for international institutional and organizational partnerships and collaborations
- Themes Throughout
- Ethical considerations; social change and justice; community engagement; sustaining foci; professional development; balancing-at-home tensions; priorities
About the Leadership Development Workshop
The NAKHE Leadership Development Workshop (LDW) is held on a university campus every summer. Its purpose is to bring together “emerging” and “senior” leaders in kinesiology, and provide them with insights into leadership and administration in higher education. The format for the workshop includes activities such as outdoor activity sessions, seminars, lectures by established leaders, and other conventional and unconventional approaches of developing one’s own leadership style with the hope of taking those leadership lessons back to our home campuses.
Recent workshops brought leaders together to brainstorm solutions to some of the complex problems facing higher education. Topics have included personnel management, budgeting tips and tricks, mentoring (both formal and informal), as well as unusual approaches to understanding leadership such as recent brain research highlighting how we think better when we physically move. Perhaps the best outcome of the LDW is the networking that occurs among emerging and senior leaders, establishing relationships and friendships that facilitate one’s leadership throughout one’s career.
LDW Registration Fees
Participation is limited to 50 attendees.
Applications submitted by NAKHE members will be given preference.
Membership Category Cost
Member Registered by 5/1/19 $50
Member Registered after 5/1/19 $80
Non-Member Registered by 5/1/19 $150
Non-Member Registered after 5/1/19 $180
NAKHE DHCT/LDW Refund Policy:
- 90% refund for anyone whose cancellation request arrives prior to May 1.
- 50% refund for anyone whose cancellation request arrives between May 2 and June 16, 2019.
- 25% refund for anyone whose cancellation arrives between June 17 and June 19, 2019.
- 0% refund for anyone whose cancellation request arrives after June 19, 2019.