2019 Department Head Certification Training
June 17, 2019, 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Hosted by Adelphi University, Garden City, New York
The Department Head Certification Training (DHCT) is held in conjunction with the Summer Leadership Development Workshop.
Applications Are Due March 15, 2019!
Download the DHCT Application Form Here
DHCT participants must register for both the DHCT and the LDW by June 12, 2019
The 2019 Department Head Certification Training (DHCT) face-to-face workshop will meet on Monday, June 17 from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. It is held in conjunction with the Summer Leadership Development Workshop (LDW) that will meet on Tuesday, June 18 from 9:00-4:00, and on Wednesday, June 19 from 9:00-12:00 noon. Both the DHCT and the LDW are pre-conference events for the AIESEP 2019 International Conference (https://aiesep2019.adelphi.edu/).
Contact Emilia Patricia Zarco, the workshop planner at or Jesse Germain, the NAKHE Leadership Institute Chair at if you have questions.
About Department Head Certification Training
NAKHE’s strategic plan clearly articulates an investment in “creating and sustaining leadership opportunities for members.” Many new department heads (DH) and other leaders have little to no training before stepping into their roles. Similarly, there are few discipline specific comprehensive leader training programs designed for the unique challenges faced by kinesiology administrators. Therefore, as part of its Leadership Institute, NAKHE developed a year and a half training and support program for kinesiology administrators and those aspiring to assume the role of department head. The Department Head Certification Training includes the following:
- Self-assessment and professional/leadership goal development
- Face-to-face training (DHCT summer workshop)
- Attendance at the Leadership Development Workshops (LDW) following the DHCT summer workshop
- 12 month mentor/protégé relationship
- Leadership project development and implementation
- Project update presentation at the 2020 NAKHE Annual Conference
- 360 degree feedback
- Certificate of Completion awarded during the 2021 NAKHE Conference
- Participation in a Panel Discussion during the Annual NAKHE Conferenc