Position: Assistant Professor of Health & Physical Education
Deadline: November 30, 2018
Posted: November 15, 2018
Job Description / Duties
Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in health and physical education pedagogy related to school curriculum and instruction. Successful candidates must advise teacher preparation students, supervise internships and clinical experiences, and mentor student scholarship. Additional responsibilities include serving on departmental, school, and university committees, and maintaining personal scholarship including mentoring undergraduate student research.
Qualifications / Required Skills
• Earned doctorate in health & physical education, health & physical education teacher preparation, or related field
• Teaching effectiveness or the potential for teaching effectiveness
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Previous successful teaching experience in the K-12 setting or eligibility to be certified K-12 in the State of Missouri
• Experience and/or scholarly work in both health and physical education
• The development and facilitation of interdisciplinary learning experiences
• Evidence of scholarly activity beyond the dissertation
• Previous successful college/university teaching experience
Electronic submission of applications is required and must be completed at http://employment.truman.edu. Completed applications must include:
• Cover letter that addresses the required qualifications and any other applicant characteristics that merit emphasis;
• Current curriculum vitae;
• Statement of teaching philosophy that presents the candidate’s commitment to the liberal arts and sciences and to student development;
• Evidence of, potential for, or demonstrated success in teaching excellence;
• Copies of graduate school transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable);
• Contact information for at least three references.
Review of applications will begin November 30, 2018 and continue until the position is filled. If hired, applicants must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States, official graduate transcripts, or documentation of degrees if transcripts are not available.
Salary: Commensurate with education, qualifications, and experience.
Dr. Michael Bird, Chair
Department of Health and Exercise Sciences
Truman State University
100 E. Normal St.
Kirksville, MO 63501-4221
Truman State University is home to a vibrant educational community. The approximately 6,000 students who make up its student body are well prepared for the academic rigors of a highly selective university. More than 20 percent engage in significant undergraduate research and creative projects. Most gain leadership experience and nearly half go on to graduate or professional school within a year of earning a degree.
Founded in 1867, Truman is known for its focus on student learning and outcomes and places an emphasis on high-impact experiences such as internships, research, and study abroad opportunities. Truman has the highest overall graduation rate among the state's public colleges and universities. For more than two decades, Truman has been recognized as the No. 1 public university in the Midwest regional category by U.S. News & World Report. Washington Monthly has included Truman in the top five of its master's university rankings in each of the past five years. For more information regarding additional rankings and acknowledgements, visit truman.edu/about.