Department Head Certification Training
Last year's face-to-face 2022 Department Head Certification Training (DHCT) workshop was held on Thursday - Friday, July 7-8, 2022, at Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, Louisiana. The DHCT is held alternate years in conjunction with the Summer Leadership Development Workshop (LDW).
Thursday - Friday, July 7-8, 2022
Northwestern State University
The face-to-face 2022 Department Head Certification Training (DHCT) workshop will be on Thursday - Friday, July 7-8, 2022. It is held in conjunction with the Summer Leadership Development Workshop (LDW). Please note that this is a change to a previously published date and schedule to take advantage of lower airline rates.
Applications Now Open
Contact Tim Brusseau at , the DHCT program coordinator or Emilia Patricia Zarco the NAKHE Leadership Institute Chair at if you have questions.
About Department Head Certification Training
NAKHE’s strategic plan clearly articulates an investment in “creating and sustaining leadership opportunities for members.” Many new department heads (DH) and other leaders have little to no training before stepping into their roles. Similarly, there are few discipline-specific comprehensive leader training programs designed for the unique challenges faced by kinesiology administrators. Therefore, as part of its Leadership Institute, NAKHE developed a year and a half training and support program for kinesiology administrators and those aspiring to assume the role of department head. The Department Head Certification Training includes the following:
- Self-assessment and professional/leadership goal development
- Face-to-face training (DHCT summer workshop)
- Attendance at the Leadership Development Workshops (LDW) following the DHCT summer workshop and the LDW the following year.
- 18-month mentor/protégé relationship
- Leadership project development and implementation
- Participation in a Panel Discussion during the 2023 Annual NAKHE Conference - Project update presentation
- DHCT Mentor Feedback
- Project presentation at the 2024 NAKHE Annual Conference
- Certificate of Completion awarded during the 2024 NAKHE Conference
The following documents are required as part of the application process and are due March 15th, 2022
- A cover letter outlining the leadership roles you have held, your professional goals, and your leadership aspirations
- A letter of nomination from an administrator in higher education
- A current curriculum vita
- Completed application form and a signed statements of agreement
Completed applications should be emailed in Word or PDF documents to:
Tim Brusseau, PhD
DHCT Program Coordinator
Chair, Health and Kinesiology
The University of Utah
Download the Department Head Certification Training Application Form (Word document)
DHCT participants must register for both the 2022 DHCT and the 2022 LDW Summer Workshops.
Wednesday, July 6
* Arrival (Welcome socials in the evening)
Thursday, July 7
* Combined DHCT/LDW
Friday, July 8
* Combined DHCT/LDW
* Conference ends Friday afternoon
DHCT Registration Fees
Participation is limited to 10 attendees.
Applications submitted by NAKHE members will be given preference.
DHCT registration is now open. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to register.
Membership Category Cost
Member Registered by 5/1/22 $120
Member Registered after 5/1/22 $150
Non-Member Registered by 5/1/22 $220
Non-Member Registered after 5/1/22 $250
LDW Registration Fees
Registration: Workshop is open to first 50 registrants.
LDW registration opens March 1, 2022.
- By April 15 $60 for members | $160 for non-members
- After April 15 (if available) $80 | $180 for non-members
NAKHE DHCT/LDW Refund Policy:
- 90% refund for anyone whose cancellation request arrives prior to May 15.
- 50% refund for anyone whose cancellation request arrives between May 16 and July 1.
- 25% refund for anyone whose cancellation arrives between July 1 and July 5.
- 0% refund for anyone whose cancellation request arrives after July 5.
warning: Fees and registrations may have changed since this page was last published. Click here to refresh this information.