December 13, 2005 (For January 2006 Board Meeting - San Diego, CA)
Report #: 4.04
Name of Office/Committee: Vice President
Person Submitting Report: Camille O'Bryant
Progress Report/Tasks Completed:
- Attendance and booth coverage at 2005 AAHPERD Convention in San Diego
- Dissemination of "Call for Proposals" to SAWPASH, WSPECW, NASSM, Journal of Sport Management, NAKPEHE web page, SW District AAHPERD
- Multiple phone call meetings with staff representatives from US Grant Hotel and Westin Horton Plaza (San Diego)
- Generated contents of packet for conference mailing - slightly delayed due to change in location (August, 2005)
- Visited San Diego to consider two options for hotel relocation (July, 2005)
- Fielded numerous email and telephone inquiries related to change in location, logistics of submitting proposals, etc.
- Communicated with hotel staff at Westin Horton Plaza (RE: room block changes, rate questions, meeting agenda, meals, etc.)
- Collected proposals and disseminated to program review committee (September - November, 2005)
- Collected and disseminated revised abstracts to Bill Forbes (November - December, 2005)
- Created conference schedule (September - December, 2005)
- Conference budget (separate handout)
Suggestions for Future Plans Related to this Office/Committee
- Make sure to delegate whenever possible - having a committee to review abstracts was extremely helpful!
- Consider establishing a conference planning committee or more simply a task force
- Consider variable pricing/rate options for conference (e.g. one day fees)
- Work with Jackie Lund to establish a sub-account from the main NAKPEHE account ä since 9/11 it is increasingly difficult to open fee-free checking accounts
- Discuss strategies for compensatory registration for sponsors
- Perhaps the $500.00 that sponsors pay is inadequate considering the cost of meal functions.
Action Required by Board: None at this time.