NAPEHE OFFICER/COMMITTEE CHAIR REPORT FORM
Report #: 8.05
Name of Office/Committee: Future Directions Committee
Person Submitting Report: Susan J. Hall
Progress Report/Tasks Completed:
The Future Directions Committee met September 14-16, 2001 on the Queen Mary in Long Beach, site of the 2003 conference. Present were Charlie Ash, Mel Finkenberg, and Susan Hall (Chair.) Committee members John Charles and Beverly Mitchell were unable to attend.
Finkenberg presented a web page he has developed for advertising the 2003 conference, with the theme of BEYOND THE CAMPUS: Forming Partnerships Between Universities and Communities. We had the opportunity to tour the ship, view a number of different types of meeting rooms, and select those rooms we believed would best accommodate our conference needs.
In light of the recent communication to the Board from the Executive Secretary regarding budget concerns, the committee decided, following discussion, to make some specific budget-related recommendations to the Executive Board. We also discussed the issue that arose at the Spring AAHPERD Board meeting with regard to the fact that the majority of the Board is appointed, rather than elected. The final discussion topic was a concern with the name of the organization including Physical Education, a term which many view as restrictive and non-inclusive.
Suggestions for Future Plans Related to this Office/Committee: See Motion #3.
Action Required by Board: Motion #1:
- Restructure the NAPEHE Board to include the elected officers plus six members of a Board of Directors elected at large, with the Board of Directors elected to three-year terms and with positions staggered such that two new members of the Board of Directors are elected each year.
- Normally, not invite committee chairs and liaisons (affiliates) to attend Board meetings. Instead, designate officers or Board of Directors members to give committee reports following appropriate communication with respective committee chairs.
- Include the Chair of the Publications Committee and the Parliamentarian as ex-officio, nonvoting members of the Board.
Related by laws wording:
ARTICLE IV. BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1. Composition of Board of Directors. The Board of Directors is comprised of the Past President, President, the President-elect, Secretary, Vice President, Vice President-elect, Executive Secretary/Treasurer (ex officio), Chair of the Publications Committee (ex officio), Parliamentarian (ex officio), and six members of a Board of Directors elected at large. The At-Large members of the Board of Directors shall be elected to three-year terms, with positions staggered such that two new members of the Board of Directors are elected each year.
- Rename the organization the National Association for Kinesiology in Higher Education (NAKHE).
- Replace physical education with kinesiology in the mission statement.
- Have the FDC meet at AAHPERD instead of holding a separate meeting at the conference site, with members paying their own expenses to AAHPERD.
- Instead, have the President and VP meet at the conference site to review rooms, meal plans, etc. with transportation paid by NAPEHE.
Budget Implications: Cost savings if Motion #3 is adopted.