National Association for Physical Education in Higher Education

Future Directions Committee

The Future Directions Committee is composed of Dr. William Forbus (Chair), Augusta State University; Dr. Virginia Overdorf, William Paterson University; Dr. Susan Hall, University of Delaware; Dr. Robert Ruhling, George Mason University; and, Dr. Charlie Ash, Kennesaw State University. The Committee met August 13-15, 1999 at the site of the 2001 conference, Amelia Island Plantation, which is located on Amelia Island, near Jacksonville, Florida. Amelia Island Plantation is a beautiful resort that is all-inclusive. The guest rooms, meeting rooms, ample recreational opportunities, and beautiful beaches should make for an excellent setting for our annual meeting.

On Friday night, the Committee reviewed items from the San Diego and Boston board meetings. We reviewed the comprehensive FDC Report from 1998 submitted by Virginia Overdorf. The Committee agreed that the trends delineated in the report were still current and we should use those to guide our discussions and decisions this year.

No recommendation was made concerning a name change for the organization. The Committee felt that the name was easily identifiable and recognizable to professionals in the field. The Committee discussed and recommended a change in the mission statement that would more accurately reflect who we are, what we are, and what we do.

The current mission statement reads:

"NAPEHE is an organization for professionals in higher education who have a variety of teaching, research, coaching and management responsibilities in physical education, who have moved from a specialized viewpoint of the profession to an expanded interdisciplinary perspective; and for faculty and administrators who have an interest in the interrelationship of physical education and higher education."

The proposed change reads:

"The National Association for Physical Education in Higher Education is an organization for professionals in higher education. Its purpose is to provide a forum for ideas, concepts, and issues related to the role of physical education in higher education with respect for diversity in social, cultural, and personal perspectives."

The Committee discussed developing a survey regarding the time of year and rotation schedule of the annual meeting and conference. Bob Ruhling agreed to develop the instrument and with suggestions and edits from the committee, the survey was sent to current members and those whose memberships had recently expired. A total of 123 responses were garnered. Of concern was the 53 respondents and the 28 respondents who indicated they were not planning to attend the Austin conference or were uncertain, respectively. Respondents indicated that they preferred our current meeting time (early January) and rotation schedule (east, central, west, central, east, etc.). A copy of the summary sheet is attached to this report.

The Committee discussed the budget and an analysis was presented. There was some concern that the organization's administrative costs far outweighed the member services offered. Questions were raised regarding the role and responsibilities of the Executive Secretary/Treasurer. It was noted that many of the items in the operating code for the Executive Secretary/ Treasurer are actually the responsibility of others. The Committee will continue to look at the budget in terms of administrative costs vs. membership benefits.

In response to comments made at the Boston board meeting, the Committee felt that a systematic evaluation of the Executive Secretary/Treasurer should be undertaken at the end of the second year of the three-year term. The evaluation should be performed by the Foundations Committee and a written report submitted to the President and the Board of Directors.

The Committee also discussed the possibility of the Board creating an Executive Committee that would serve in an official capacity when decisions needed to be made regarding the organization. Many times the President needs to make a decision and a polling of the entire Board may be quite cumbersome. This would provide assistance to those types of situations. Of course, any action of this Executive Committee would necessitate Board approval at the next scheduled meeting. In reviewing the bylaws, Article IV, Section 10 addresses this concern; therefore, no action item was presented.

On Saturday morning, the Committee began the process of answering questions regarding the future of the organization. What changes does the organization need to make to adapt to the future? Where is the organization heading? What is the blueprint for the future? How can we best serve the membership? Again, the Committee felt that the 1998 report of this Committee reflected the internal, external, and technology trends of the future and this report can serve as a blueprint for answering the above questions and addressing concerns of the organization.

Discussion continued on what NAPEHE's role is/should be in the academy. Are there things we can do to increase membership? How can we get more people to attend conferences? It was concluded that we have a unique membership that is interdisciplinary in nature as well as eclectic in many ways. We felt that in our conferences, we need less of a didactic approach and more of a "think tank" model. The purpose of our conferences should be an impetus for thinking. Several action items were approved for presentation to the Board.

The Committee also assisted Charlie Ash with conference planning for 2001. Bob Ruhling submitted a list of the past conference themes to assist us. It was decided that the theme for the 2001 conference would be: 2001: A Dialogue on a New Agenda. There would be three strands (trends that impact the profession) that would cut across this theme: (1) Societal and Cultural Issues; (2) Technological Issues; and, (3) Institutional Issues. Charlie Ash has contacted Dr. Jim Muyskens (CEO and Dean of Faculty at the Gwinnett Center, a unit of the University System of Georgia) about delivering the keynote address. He has agreed to do so.

Other items of discussion regarding the conference included the scheduling of board meetings, recreation, and committee meetings. Many of these have been incorporated by Marilyn Buck at the Austin conference and will continue in the future.

I would like to thank the Committee for their dedication and contributions to making our meeting a most successful one. Special thanks goes to Dr. Ginny Overdorf for her three years of service on this Committee and whose term ends at the Austin convention.

 

Action Items

Motion to revise the mission statement to read as follows: "The National Association for Physical Education in Higher Education is an organization for professionals in higher education. Its purpose is to provide a forum for ideas, concepts, and issues related to the role of physical education in higher education with respect for diversity in social, cultural, and personal perspectives."

Motion to charge the Membership Committee and the Board to continue to explore ways to socialize young professionals into NAPEHE, to include planning program sessions specifically targeting new professionals; membership drive that includes an incentive-based program; and strategies to increase new involvement in leadership positions.

Motion to charge the Membership Committee and the Board to continue to explore ways to socialize graduate students into NAPEHE.

Motion to improve member services by expanding the web site to include various category resource links (e.g., publishers, professional organizations, etc.).

Motion to improve member services by expanding the web site to include online conference registration and membership (pay by credit card).

Motion to require that all office and committee reports be submitted four weeks prior to a scheduled board meeting. They should be submitted electronically and posted on the web site for the board to review before the meeting. This will help streamline board meetings because oral reports can be limited to the most important points and action items only.

Motion that site selection and negotiation should be the responsibility of the Past President and the Future Directions Committee.

Motion to require a visit to the proposed conference site before it is actually selected.